Friday, June 1, 2007

Kelsey's Graduation/Sydney's Illness

Rehoboth Beach, 1992. Ages 5 & 3.

I'm in DE now, I flew home tonight (was supposed to have a flight for this morning at 9am, but it had to be changed...more on that later.). The first thing my mom and I did when we got into Wilmington was go straight to Rita's for a Mango waterice. I crave it so much down in NC. The reason I'm here this weekend is for my cousin Ashley's wedding (tomorrow) and for my sister Kelsey's graduation from high school. It should be a really fun weekend- I'm kind of sad because none of my friends are home this weekend, of the people who came back to DE for the summer, they're all at the beach. Which sounds fun, I just miss everyone and I won't be here all summer, not even for one weekend. Crazy summer.

So today was eventful. To begin with, this entire week has been us moving into our new house. It's a fabulous house, I love it so much. Living with Em makes life so much easier/convenient, and Sydney is happier too...well she would be, if everything hadn't happened. The past two weeks Sydney has been a little "under the weather". I am using that as a blanket statement, because we spent all night/morning explaining to people the exact events of the past two weeks, and I can't bear to describe it all again, it's horrendously boring and the word "diarrhea" was frequented a little too often for me. So, it all boiled down to Sydney waking us up last night and she was really ill, vomiting and more diarrhea and panting, these weird stomach noises... so at 4:30am we took her to the Emergency Vet, and while she was there, she had diarrhea all over the floor...but this time, it was full of blood. Which threw up a red flag, and suddenly, Sydney's "under the weather" condition because a lot more serious. Syd spent all of last night in the ICU hooked up to fluids, and then this morning we had to transfer her to our vet, and they ran a ton of tests... The diagnosis: Sydney has Pancreatitis. Basically, she ate something that was WAY too rich or high in fat for her system (such as bacon grease, not that she ate that, it's just a good example.) Her pancreas, over the past two weeks, has been enflamed and has started digesting itself (ew?) ... So this left Sydney pretty ill, and Em and I completely confused as to what was wrong with her. Thankfully, our vet is awesome and figured it out... Sydney's Lipase (an enzyme) levels were at 5800. Normal is 1200 ...

Hopefully by tomorrow she will be feeling much better. I'm sad that I won't be there when she comes home, because I cried for so long last night, especially after the scare at the ER vet ... A nurse came out after Syd had the blood episode and said to me and Em, "I just want to let you know that things have become serious. If Sydney becomes unstable, we will come get you right away so that you can be with her..." I sobbed, I seriously thought I was going to lose my big pup. However, it seems that she will be okay, and soon get back to chasing the moths outside of our house and snuggling up to us in bed.

That's all for now.
Love everywhere,


Anonymous said...

i'm definitely home!! i work 12:30p to 7:15p but after that i'm free, and we have to hang out sometime while you're up here.

Emmers said...

Hurray for syd being all better!! she slept on the bed with me allll night!! I miss you!!

Lindsey said...

aw poor sydney!