Wednesday, May 21, 2008

5/21/08

This morning I had a doctors appointment, and on my way out the door I stopped at the check-out counter to make my follow up appointment.  The woman behind the desk is always there when I'm there, she's very nice.  She always laughs when I take a "I WAS BRAVE!" sticker.  Today, she saw me slap it on my shirt, and noticed Liam's picture on my shirt.  (I'm wearing my Relay for Life - Legs for Liam tshirt)  She asked who he was, and I told her about him and how he passed away from cancer in '05...then she said, "Oh that's awful... I just saw in the paper today, a little 7 year old girl who died of cancer" And I said, "Oh..Katherine Wilkinson?"  And then she said, yes!  And asked me how I knew her.  I told her that I was just familiar with her, but that she had the same cancer as Liam.  I told her it was Neuroblastoma, and she asked what that meant, so I explained it to her (with Em).

Funny how the picture they chose is similar to the one that I posted on here a few days ago...


GREENSBORO — Katherine (Kathy) Ann Wilkinson, 7, went home to be with her Heavenly Father on Sunday, May 18, 2008.

A memorial service to celebrate her life will be held 2 p.m. Saturday, May 24, at Rolling Roads Baptist Church with Pastor Mark Brookhart officiating. To honor Kathy, the family is requesting pink and purple clothing to be worn. Those were Kathy's favorite colors.

Kathy was born May 11, 2001, in Summerville, S.C. She was a member of Rolling Roads Baptist Church and Miss Pam's Sunday School Class. She attended first grade at Frazier Elementary School in Miss Wilson's class. Kathy was full of life, lovable and even through her sickness, always kept her positive attitude and outlook on life. We can all learn a big lesson from this precious little girl. Kathy will always be remembered and loved and we will never forget her always having a hug for everyone.

Kathy is survived by her mother, Denise Wilkinson; her sister, Alyssa Sethman and her brothers, Devon and Ethan Rice all of Greensboro; grandparents, Richard and Anna Wilkinson of Greensboro and Pete and Rose Conzalina of Ladson, S.C.; great grandmother, Maria Link of Goose Creek, S.C.; aunt, Theresa Barnes; uncle, Kevin Wilkinson and cousins, Kelsey, Kenneth, Tara, Jayson and Kayley all of Summerville, S.C.

The family will receive friends at the church immediately following the memorial service.

The family request that in lieu of flowers, memorials can be made in memory of Katherine to the Children's Hospital Foundation of The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, attention, Dr. Mosse and Maris Neuroblastoma Research Program, 34th Street and Civic Center Blvd., Philadelphia, PA 19104 or to Kids Path Palliative and Hospice Care of Greensboro, 2504 Summit Avenue, Greensboro, NC 27405.

George Brothers Funeral Service is assisting the family with arrangements.

Offer condolences at www. news-record.com/nr/obits/

No comments: