Thursday, February 4, 2010

Things!

Life is exhilarating right now.

My internship is beyond amazing. I feel like I have such a purpose there, and I'm so happy that I chose this place to spend my semester. I don't observe- I do. I work with kids all day long, kids who need extra attention and extra instruction and extra love. Every second that I am there, I feel like I am doing something important and I truly feel like we are changing and improving these kids' lives. This is all I wanted. This is the "bigger picture" that I wrote about all those years ago...

Yesterday, I went into my internship for awhile even though I don't usually go in on Wednesdays. The snow has destroyed my schedule this week and babysitting got canceled for last night. We spent the afternoon making those fleece tie blankets. We make them so that policemen can keep a few in their trunks, so that if they respond to a domestic violence call or something else where they have to pick up an upset child, they have something to wrap around them and make them feel a little better. I love that we do that, just thinking about what those blankets will be used for made making them even more fun.

In 6 days (next Wednesday) the rugby team is traveling to Las Vegas for the International 7s tournament!! I'm so excited, I've never been to Vegas, except for a layover when we went to Idaho a few years ago. We're staying at Hooters (haha. It was the cheapest, closest to the strip, and had a special rate for rugby teams) and we'll be getting in around 9:30 Wednesday night. We don't leave until late Saturday night, we're catching a red-eye back and should land in Raleigh around 9am. There's 6 of us from my team going, and 3 from Duke. UNCG WRFC + Duke WRFC = very fun times. So basically, this is going to be one of the best trips ever.

I'm not even going to write about the "snow storm" we had last weekend. I'm tired of talking about the snow and it just annoyed me... I don't have classes, so the closing didn't affect me, I got really bored in my apartment, I already dealt with an ACTUAL blizzard this year (19 inches, imagine that, NC!) and the snow wrecked my plans for the weekend. I'm not bitter or anything ;-) But, I do have to say, I understand why NC doesn't invest much money into their winter weather equipment, since this only happens once or twice a year. However, they could save themselves a lot of grief if they learned to a.) salt the roads BEFORE the snow comes, b.) not wait until the snow stops to plow the roads, and c.) not use sand to melt the ice sheets on the sidewalks on campus. This is completely ineffective and doesn't melt anything- it just created a slushy sand mess that provides little traction and looks ugly.

*end rant.

I'm happy, I'm content, I'm busy, and my car has a few extra hundred miles on it from the last two weeks. :) I'll probably update again before Vegas... I have a ltlym that I've been working on for a few days....

Spread love,
K

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are awesome. I want to be just like you when I grow up.

lindsey said...

you should learn to make snuggies for police cars!

i'm so so so jealous you're going to vegas! megan & her mom are planning a trip for may without me :( have fun!!

i'm glad things are going so well!

erin - heart in ireland said...

glad things are going so fabulously :)

Anonymous said...

[B]NZBsRus.com[/B]
Lose Laggin Downloads With NZB Files You Can Instantly Find Movies, Games, MP3 Singles, Software and Download Them at Flying Speeds

[URL=http://www.nzbsrus.com][B]Usenet Search[/B][/URL]