Sunday, September 21, 2008

DE Obama Headquarters

Today I went with Mrs. James to the Delaware Obama Headquarters to do some volunteering! It was awesome - we were there for about 3 hours. There are a ton of jobs you can do, and Mrs. James did some canvassing by phone, while I worked on some "data entry". Basically, all I did was take the phone lists of people who have been called, and I enter the information into a spreadsheet. Each person is given an ID number, and when the canvassers call, they circle different things, and certain numbers mean certain things. (1="definite Obama supporter", 2="Leaning towards Obama", 3=Undecided, 4=Leaning towards McCain, etc).

My job was easy, and even though it seemed small, it was great to be a part of the movement!! The DE Obama HQ is actually focusing much more on Pennsyvlania voters right now (mostly because Obama/Biden have DE in the bag), and PA is such an important and huge state for us to win!

I suggest any fervent Obama supporters who have an extra hour or two to find out where their local Obama HQ is, and go down to do whatever you can to help! If you are uncomfortable calling people on the phone (like me) then there are a ton of other was you can help!

I took the above photo back in March of 2006, when I went to my first Barack Obama speech. This was WAYYY before he was a presidential nominee, he was just a senator. I just happened to be in the right place at the right time (randomly visiting University of Vermont!) and he was speaking, so I went. (Actually, I didn't have a ticket, so I stood on a stolen cafeteria chair and watched from an open window!) Afterwards, I snuck inside with some high schoolers who had skipped school to go to the speech, and we hunted him down and introduced ourselves!) After I left that speech, I said to myself, THAT is the man who should be President of the United States! About a year later, he announced that he would be running!!

No comments: