Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Onward, NC!

Today I gave a unit of blood for my mom's surgery. My mom took some great pictures of the process (don't worry..nothing too gruesome!) I'll post those eventually. Once they stuck me with the HUGE ASS NEEDLE, it took about 5 minutes for the girl to "fish around" in my arm, trying to find my vein, which she described as "your vein is so small, it's like a thread!" Once she finally hit the vein, I had to hit 300 CCs in 25 minutes. (Or else the blood would clot in the bag before they could spin it down) Well, on the 20th minute, I hit 300, and a "good bag" of blood is at 400 CCs (meaning, they don't have to add in platelets) and at the 24th minute I hit 409 CCs! Wahoo! So, my mom will have a perfectly healthy and good bag of blood to replenish her stash when she loses more than 1/3 of her own during her surgery...

I'm leaving tomorrow for Greensboro... I have to be at the airport at 8:30am. I'll try to post some from NC.. I am so excited to see my team and my puppy and my friends and my family and my OWN HOUSE!

If you haven't yet, please read the post below.

Love to all-

3 comments:

Emmers said...

are you excited to see me?

sad face

I am very excited to see you!!

lindsey said...

have fun!

lindsey said...

hey, just saw this and thought you'd like it, some really great pictures - http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2008/09/childhood_cancer_awareness_mon.html