Sunday, April 26, 2009

Till we fall asleep tonight.

::WARNING::  At the bottom of this post, there is a photo that may make some a little queasy- it's really not that bad, no blood or guts or anything.

Yesterday, on what was the hottest day so far this year, we played Virginia Tech at Tech.  It was 97 degrees in Blacksburg, and we felt it all day long.  I am so sunburned on my shoulders, arms, chest and face- I've been covering myself in aloe since I got home last night.  We lost 73-0, but it was still a fun game, as we played in prom dresses, and Tech took it easy on us once they were up by about 40.  

With about 20 minutes left in the second half of the game, the whistle was blown for a "minute".  When someone calls "minute, sir!" it means that someone is down on the ground, and needs a minute to get up.  Sometimes, it takes many, many minutes for that person to get up...

When the minute was called, I ran over to find 2 of our players on the ground.  One of our rookies, Kelsey, had an enormous goose egg on her forehead.  It was so big!  I looked over at our other player on the ground, our treasurer, Krissie, and she had blood gushing all down her hands, which were covering her face.  (Krissie and Kelsey smacked heads while trying to tackle the same girl)  I immediately thought she had a bloody nose, until Em moved her hands and I saw the largest gash on a person's forehead that I have ever seen in my entire life.  It went from just below her hairline, down to below her eyebrow, and it wasn't just a "cut", it was hanging open and gushing blood...and I've never seen what is underneath skin, but it's very pink and kind of looks like raw chicken, except firmer.  

We kept Krissie calm while Em stabilized her neck, incase of a head/neck injury.  We didn't talk about the huge hole in her forehead.  We washed the blood off of her hands and arms and just talked until the ambulance got there.  They took her to the hospital near Virginia Tech, where they stitched her up (7 internal stitches, 11 external stitches...they called it a "skin fracture"..ew).  Around 6:30, Em and I left the hospital for a little break and went over to see Lexi, a friend of ours who we worked with at G.S. camp.  It was so good to see her!  We hung out with her for a bit, and then went back to the hospital.  Krissie was let out at almost 8, so we got the heck outta dodge and drove to Roanoke for dinner at this funky Polynessian place, then drove home, pulling into the driveway minutes after midnight.

It was a long, hot, tiring day but rugby days are never uninteresting!  

Here is a photo of Krissie from this morning:


Emmers said...

I thought her nose was bleeding too - shudder - thank god we got the bleeding under control and she didnt pass out or anything. I think it was amazing that she didnt even get a drop on her prom dress!!

erin - heart in ireland said...

Wow! That is a crazy cut! And playing in prom dresses sounds like so much fun :)

Vickie said...

Here's to bravery on the field (and standing by).

Here also is to LOVE. You couldn't have said anything warmer or wiser when you commented on Erin's site.

Thank you.

Turtle said...

WOW!! So glad to hear she's ok & it wasn't anything worse. She's a trooper I tell ya and I LOVED that she didn't get a drop of blood on her prom dress, that's classic!

Kudos to ya'll for being so awesome "on the scene". It's moment's like these that we take an extra moment to cherish our rugby sisters.