Thursday, November 16, 2006

I think I'll write a book.


Today for my bio class I had to drive to Kernersville, which is about 30 minutes away, to build bird houses with three other girls. It was quite an experience. The girl who carpooled with me is named Kristin. And she is a Neo-Nazi. Well, she actually was a Neo-Nazi...now she, "just hates everyone, not just black people and fags". Sooo..that was interesting. I mean, she's a nice girl (which is hard for me to say, after listening to all the shit that comes out of her mouth in biolab every week). She is just extremely abrasive, cusses like a sailor, and hates everyone who is different than her. The thing is, somehow I can stand to be around her. I spent an hour in the car with her today and it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. I asked her a lot of questions, because I really want to understand why she thinks the way she does and how she came about those feelings. She grew up Lutheran, and the only thing that offends her is when people say "God Damn" ... well shit buddy, I say "God Damn" a whole lot, and she let me know what she thought everytime I said it! I mean, I was hammering nails into awful wood, I hit my fingers a lot and kept bending the nails. Worse phrases than "God Damnit" were definitely pouring out! It's just interesting to me I guess..

The birdhouse making was actually kind of fun, once we got started. All we had were some wooden planks...we had to measure them out, cut them with a table saw, and then assemble them using a drill bit to drill holes, a NAIL GUN!, and of course, - a trusty hammer for the big nails :) I really had fun, as I am definitely an "instant gratification" kind of person. I like to see the product of my sweat and blood. (Which I somehow produced both of today.) My birdhouse looked cool, and I wish I could have taken a picture of it. I've never used a nail gun before...I'd used a table saw and drills before - in Tech Ed in Middle School. But never by myself. I felt extremely accomplished, and played "Hammer and a Nail" by Indigo Girls in the car on the way home... and sang along loudly, which if course set off the Neo-Nazi in my front seat. "You listen to country?! Shit girlfriend, this is some dang country music, I know you don't listen to no country music, you're from the north!" Well, first of all... IG is hardly "country". I guess they're classified technically as "folk music" but who knows really, they're a lot of things I think. Either way... her comment just made me laugh, it takes a lot to offend me.

When I got back from birdhouses, I had Audiology... one of the professors in my department is doing a clinical study on the correlation between iPod or MP3 use and hearing loss, and we got 5 points extra credit if we participated today. So all I had to do was fill out a survey about how much I use my iPod, and then get my hearing tested. I was really surprised to find out that I hear about 10 dB better in my right ear. I always thought I had the same hearing. The left ear is still normal, it's just that my right ear hears a little bit better than normal. Cool :)
The picture that I posted with this post is one that I took at Senior Week in June '05. The first night that we got there, Mer, Joey and me (and maybe someone else?) stayed up all night and watched the sunrise on the beach. Beautiful :)
Heading home in FOUR days!
Love,
Kristen

No comments: