Wednesday, December 17, 2008

I'm Walkin on the Sunnyside of the Street

We decorated our tree last night.  My mom decided to try some new lights- we've had our old ones for about a decade, so my mom chose these new LED lights.  They were kind of strange at first - so bright that the light sort of seems blue (not only in the photos, but in real life as well).  However, we really like them and I think it's cool to try out different things every once in awhile.  We have had colorful lights since before I can remember, and my mom has always liked just plain white.  So, she saw this as a compromise.  Her white lights that give off a little bit of a blue tint.  

















Tonight, for my mom's birthday, Kelsey and are going to cook her dinner.  Her favorite right now are these Tomato, Basil & Mozzarella sandwiches that we used to make last summer all the time.  They're quite easy to make... toast some French bread in the oven, mix some balsamic vinegar with some olive oil, spread that onto the bread halves.  Slice some tomato and slice a fresh ball of mozzarella, line them up on the bread, and sprinkle with fresh cut-up basil.  Then get ready to eat the best sandwich ever known to man.  

















The basil has to be fresh - once my mom and I couldn't find any fresh basil in the grocery store, so we used this old dried basil that came in a spice container.  It was definitely not anywhere near as good!  This meal can be a little bit pricey - the fresh mozzy and the fresh basil are both a little expensive (by our standards) - however, both packages come with more than enough for about two dinners and a lunch, so I think it's worth it!

I can barely contain myself about the Christmas gift that Em decided on for my mom.  I gave her a few ideas, figuring she'd choose to get her the silicone bakeware or the bath towels (which we desperately are in need of, haha).  However, she chose to get her something that I mentioned that I knew my mom wanted really badly.  All of my gifts to my mom this year for her birthday and for Christmas are practical things - things that she needs.  However, what Em is getting her is just something that she wants, and I think it's going to make her so happy!  I'm not going to post a photo of it, just in case... Here's a hint though: It's used in a backyard and is functional and also beautiful, and will keep you warm!!  I can't wait to see her face when she opens it!!  :)

4 comments:

lindsey said...

ooo, if it's what i think it is, i'm totally jealous! hope you eventually reveal it so i know if i'm right
those leds are kind of weird looking - but they are supposed to last forever and use less energy, so that's a big plus.
those sandwiches are the best, yum. fresh mozzarella is amazing, i want to learn how to make it.

Kristen said...

@ Lindsey - you want to learn how to make fresh mozzarella or you want to learn how to make the sandwich?? haha :)

Emmers said...

It came today!! and is SO heavy! I am going to wrap it and bring it down tomorrow ok? I saw grandma today at King James- she's doing ok, and knew who I was etc. And she doesn't think I am an astronaut anymore, so that's good.

erin - heart in ireland said...

i love fresh mozzarella :) a few years ago we used just white lights on the tree and i liked it, i'm not sure what colour we are putting up this year, as we just put up the tree yesterday and are decorating tonight.

ps - the link to my blog changed -
http://andherheartitisinireland.blogspot.com/