Monday, January 12, 2009

THON 2009

Well, I've been saying for 4 years that I'm going to make it to Penn State's THON Weekend.  This year, I am going to do everything in my power to actually make it happen.  In past years, we've had rugby games or other events going on, but I truly think that if I don't go this year than I may not get the chance again.  This time next year, I'll (hopefully) be in Grad School, and I don't know what part of the country I will be in.  This year it is Feb. 20-22.

I've explained what THON is before on here, but in case you missed it, it's a 48 hour Dance Marathon held at Penn State every year to raise money for Pediatric Cancer.  It's the largest student run philanthropy in THE WORLD.  Last year they raised over 6 million dollars, putting their overall total over the years at over 52 million dollars.  That is breath taking.

For an entire weekend, teams of dancers dance, play with kids and families, raise money and awareness, and it all takes place inside of a huge gym.  Here is my favorite THON promo video - there are a ton if you just type it into Youtube.  But this was the very first video I saw (it's from THON 2006) and it does a really good job at explaining what THON is and capturing the whole weekend.  When I saw this, I knew that I had to get myself to THON at some point in my life...


1 comment:

erin - heart in ireland said...

I love THON! That would be awesome if you could go. Stuff like that makes me proud to be Greek because Penn State does an AMAZING job and they work so hard at making it what it has become :)